The Largs War Memorial was dedicated on the 19th of September, 1921 and stands at the south side of the town, facing out to sea. Atop the statue stands a sculpture of 3 soldiers (one kilted, one colonial and one a sailor) that were carved from white freestone by sculptor William Kellock Brown (1856 – 1934).

The memorial was rededicated on the 11th of September, 1947 for those lost in the Second World War.

The statue bears the names of 85 men who were killed in the First World War and 67 who were killed in the Second World War.

They are looking out to sea, facing away from their home that they would never see again.

Further Reading

Largs War Memorial at Imperial War Museums

Largs War Memorial at Canmore

Largs War Memorial at War Memorials Online