The people of Saltcoats wanted to honour the young men and boys who were killed in the Great War. A fund was set up and paid for by public subscription for a war memorial.
The Saltcoats War Memorial was unveiled on the 27th May 1922 by the Marchioness of Ailsa. At the unveiling, Rev. W. McNeil Biggam read all their names aloud. Members of the Saltcoats Town Council also attended, as well as Provost A S Millar, Boy Scouts, Boys Brigade, Girl Guides, Freemasons and Friendly Societies.
The memorial is 7 feet tall and 24 feet square at the base. It is surmounted by a figure of a Royal Scots Fusilier in the “On Guard” position
It contains the names of the 201 young men from Saltcoats who died in the First World War. and a further 110 names of young men from Saltcoats who died in the Second World War.