Ardrossan War Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 5th May 1923.

The war memorial takes the form of a Celtic Cross, built from cream coloured Cullaloe freestone.  The cross rises from a raised circular platform on either side of which are stone benches.  A bronze plaque on the base of the cross contains the names of the 150 men who fell during World War One.  Immediately above the plaque are the words “They gave their lives for their country and received each for his own memory praise that will never die, and with it the noblest sepulchre, not that in which their mortal bones are laid, but a home in the minds of men”.   At the base of the rear of the cross is the inscription “Thine, O Lord, is the victory”.

The interlaced Celtic cross at the top symbolises the mystery of life and death.  Carved into the body of the cross are five figures.  At the top symbolising Religion and Christianity is St. Columba, the Irish Abbot who spread Christianity throughout Scotland; in the middle symbolising war are King Robert the Bruce and Admiral Sir Andrew Wood (1455-1515) of the Royal Scots Navy.  At the bottom in a group of three symbolising peace are Robert Burns representing Literature, James Watt the inventor and engineer and David Livingstone the famous missionary and explorer.

The architect who originally designed the war memorial was Dr Peter MacGregor Chalmers of Glasgow who died on 15 March 1922.  Following his death, he was succeeded by John Jeffrey Waddell who completed the war memorial.  The sculptor was James A. Young of Glasgow.  Ex-Baillie John Inglis, a builder from Ardrossan erected the war memorial.

Thousands of people attended the unveiling of Ardrossan War Memorial.  In Ardrossan Harbour, the ships set their flags at half-mast as a sign of respect to the fallen, and the shops closed from 1pm until 4pm.  Two processions marched to the war memorial, the first consisting of military personnel and local youth clubs led by the Shipyard Cadets Pipe Band, the second consisting of representatives from the Public bodies and officials led by the Ardrossan Burgh Pipe Band.

The relatives of the fallen were seated in front of the war memorial.  Following a song, prayer and scripture reading, Provost George McKellar gave a stirring speech during which he said “Throughout Ayrshire, following the declaration of war, men of every class voluntarily answered the call.  In a very short time, these civilians were turned into trained soldiers and sent to the front where they suffered the horrors of the trenches while dealing with shell fire, aerial bombardment and that most evil invention of the enemy, poison gas”. 

Archibald Kennedy, 3rd Marquis of Ailsa unveiled the bronze plaque at the bottom of the war memorial and the names of the 150 men were read out by Rev. R.P. Fairlie of the New Ardrossan Parish Church (later the Barony Church).  Following the laying of numerous wreaths, the war memorial was officially handed over to Ardrossan Town Council. A bugler from the Royal Scots Fusiliers sounded out ‘The Last Post’ and the ‘Reveille’ and then the crowd sang “God Save the King”.  The unveiling ceremony was concluded by Rev. Reginald V. Hudson who gave the benediction.